Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pearls

Outside of Hangzhou is Pearl City, Zhuji. I had heard a lot about it and wanted to see the pearls so Ilene and I braved the buses and taxis and 4 hours later (we had been told it was one hour away) we arrived at the new Pearl Market where prices are now 30% higher because of the swish new building and facilities. Just imagine the largest department store you can think of on one level divided up into little 'hole in the wall shops' and each one filled to the brim with pearls of all sizes, shapes and colours. That's the pearl market. No coffee shops or snack bars just row after row of pearl shops.


I was quite overwhelmed by it all and could not make decisions about what I wanted or should even consider buying. It is times like this that I wish I was a 'shopper' as I would have no difficulty in making decisions .... like Ilene.....but as I shop but rarely I am quite out of the habit.



However I really enjoyed seeing it all as I don't think I would have believed that there could be so many tons of pearls in one place if I had not been there.



I did manage to buy a couple of strands which I had knotted and clasps affixed - all while you wait. Ilene had several strands broken apart and re-threaded with mix and match colourings and if you have a design in mind they will make it for you right there and then. Has to be seen to be believed.

No comments: