There was even a museum of locks with one so small you needed a magnifying glass to see it. This outside one opened and closed depending upon how often you dropped money into the slot. The close up is of the hundreds of thousands of locks which had been purchased by visitors and hung in a variety of shapes and locations throughout the island, heart shapes, tree shapes, garlands, frames all absolutely crammed full of locks and tags. We had fun looking at them all.
Next was Bird Island with a somewhat sad array of birds in cages or rather an aviary, quite large and airy, but a cage nonetheless. We did not stop here long but as we passed through I noted this wonderful golden headed pheasant, I think (I have no bird book with me but I am sure Sandy or Gwynneth will apprise me of its proper name)
and perhaps on this, or was it another island, I quite forget, there were the largest greediest gold fish I have ever seen. Here they are jumping right out of the water to get the food thrown by the passing visitors.
The unfortunate thing about not being on a tour with English speaking people is that all the interesting facts, which a guide might convey, are lost on us. There are hundreds of tourists wherever we go but they are mainly oriental from other parts of China, Korea or other Asian countries. Hence I am not able to tell you very much about this sweet little island, shady and peaceful, with the loveliest painted temple. I shall have to find an English guide book but be assured that it was delightful and from the amount of discussion, which I could not understand, it seemed an important temple and island.... it was certainly a very attractive one with lots of colour.
Snake Island was another stop and I will not continue the list but just to say that the snakes, of which there were many, were all contained. We did see what looked like the vicious hooded Black Mamba affeared by me when we lived in Africa in case it attacked my (at that time) little ones. There was always a healthy 'bonsella' for the person who caught the Black Mamba.
Below is a magnificent wood carving in the main waiting hall where we purchased our tickets. It is quite arresting as you can see how very large it is, and beautifully made. Such artistic examples are frequently seen here and their creativity shows itself in all forms of sculpture, painting, calligraphy, architecture and of course craft work as well as the delightful way in which they set out the gardens and entrance ways - an example of which is in this final photo. This path led through the arch to the jetty where we caught the boat. For us a different, but equally enjoyable, day of relaxation.
No comments:
Post a Comment